Sunday 27 September 2015

Cycling as part of the Te Araroa Experience

 



Lake Tekapo canal
  
 I have been pondering the sections of the Trail through the Mackenzie Basin and suddenly had a brain-wave. Instead of walking the gravel roads from Lake Tekapo to Lake Pukaki why don't I  mountain bike them instead? I have walked in the area back in Army days and it is hot and dry terrain, 101 km's on gravel roads does not sound pleasant.
 
The section as it exists as a section in my plan is:




 Section 10 – Lake Tekapo to Lake Middelton camp (3 days)
Day 1 Walk 35km to Hayman Rd
Day 2 Walk 35km to Twizel Backpackers
Lake Ohau Track
Day 3 Walk 31km to Lake Middelton Camp, 8-9 hours 





 I could by using the bike option cover the same distance (101 km's) in 2 moderate days, with an overnight stay in Twizel. I would probably ride NOBO so that I was in the more accessible Tekapo at the end of the trip.
 
I know the idea would be pure blasphemy to many TaT purists, but I say:

Damn it, this is my Te Araroa tramp and I get to make the rules.
 
 
There is some precedent for doing so, a quick perusal of some TaT  blogs show several people who biked these same sections. In fact there is a business in Tekapo who supply bikes for people to cycle the canal roads. When you consider that the Wanganui River Journey is a part of the TaT, it kind of makes good sense to cycle these sections. I believe that if you have completed this journey under your own motive power, be it walking, biking or kayaking then you have been successful.
 
I'm not going to be walking this section of the Trail until late 2016 - early 2017 but will certainly be investigating the options.

No comments:

Post a Comment